Registration and Information
Dates: October 3-8, 2023
Please check back for updated information about the 2023 race.
Email: Race Contact | Contact in Baltimore | Contact in Portsmouth
Register your schooner to participate in this year’s race. [Not open yet for registrations]
- You must register by August 1st to have your boat name printed on your race shirts. Race shirts identify your crew members and admit them to all festivities.
- There is no registration deadline, so you may register right up to the beginning of the race, but docking is limited and will be determined on a first-paid, first-entered basis. Only complete entries will be considered. A waiting list will be maintained once the limit is reached. We will contact wait-listed vessels.
- 2023 registration fees are $3.00/ft ($2.50 for early-birds), $25 per race shirts (required for everyone aboard as well as anyone joining in for the land-based events), and vessels carrying passengers pay an additional $10/passenger.
- If your plans change after registration, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submit your race payment. The registration process should take you directly to the payment system, but this link will let you go back and buy additional shirts, etc. Your entry fee is not refundable and you are not completely registered until you have paid in full. If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.
Race Handbook (PDF) All the rules, instructions and information for race captains and crew, including schedule, racing rules and instructions, and more.
2022 Fleet Book (PDF) this is last year’s list of participating vessels.
A Full Crew List Form(PDF) must be completed by/for each crew member on a vessel. Please send or hand the completed form to Duncan Hood before the Skippers’ Meeting starts on Thursday morning.
The Safety Statement & Waiver(PDF) must be signed and turned in prior to participating in race events. Please send or hand the completed form to Duncan Hood before or at the Captains’ Meeting on Wednesday morning.
Hourly Position Log (PDF) The captain of each schooner must ensure that a position log recording the latitude and longitude of the schooner at each hour on the hour during the race is kept. A paper log is located at the end of the Race Handbook for your convenience, or you may use any other paper record that has the appropriate information.
- Please fuel your vessel and pump your holding tank before docking. The morning of the race you really will not have time to do this.
- We encourage you to take a turn around the Inner Harbor under sail before you tie up to promote the race to the public.
- All participating schooners will be assigned a berth in Baltimore. We will send captains all of the docking information by email in advance of race week.
- We will help you arrange transportation, provisioning, ice, etc.
- Early arrivals are welcome and can receive free docking beginning on Tuesday. Hail “Schooner Race Dockmaster” on VHF 16 as you enter the harbor. You will likely then be asked to switch to VHF 68.
- For information about mail, packages and faxes in Baltimore, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Expect to arrive in Norfolk between Friday morning and Saturday morning, depending on the weather and your speed. Make sure your family knows how to communicate with the race organizers in event of personal emergencies.
- For information about mail, packages and faxes in Norfolk, contact Virginia@gcbsr.org.
GCBSR COVID policy
In order to provide a safe space for our event and to comply with local restrictions, all participating captains, crew, passengers, volunteers, sponsors and guests will also be expected to be fully vaccinated or to have a COVID-free test result within 48 hours of any event they attend. Finally, all of this is subject to change with the changing policy environment.
Schedule at a Glance
See Participants’ Events for additional details about these events.
Tuesday, October 4, 2022
- 1000-1400 Open Docks
- 1700-1900 Open Docks
Wednesday, October 5, 2022
- 1000-1400 Open Docks
- 1200 All schooners must be docked in Baltimore
13001400 Mandatory Captains’ Meeting
- 1600 Push off, for Parade of Sail at 1700
- 1900 All Hands Party (outdoors on the Marina dock like last year)
Thursday, October 6, 2022
- 0630 Mandatory Skippers’ Meeting – Schooners not represented at this mandatory meetings will be disqualified. Captains unable to attend must arrange official representation and notify the race committee.
- 0730 Cast-off for the Start
- 1200 Beginning of the Race Start Sequence
Friday, October 7, 2022
Saturday, October 8, 2022
- 0800-1800 Open Docks
- 1200 Deadline for calling in finish time
- 1300-1700 Pig and Oyster Roast / Awards Ceremony
- 1700-2100 Schooner Social
- 2100-2330 Sailors’ Evening and Sea Chantey Sing-along
Sunday, October 9, 2022
- 0730-0900 Captain’s Meeting
- 0900-1100 All Hands Breakfast
Monday, October 10, 2022
- 0900-1600 Tentative Educational sails / dockside
This is meant to be a fun race; however, the safety of a vessel and her crew is the sole and inescapable responsibility of the captain, who must ensure that the vessel is sound, seaworthy, and manned by experienced crew who are physically fit. The captain must further ensure that all equipment is properly maintained and stowed, and that the crew knows its location and proper usage. It is recommended that all vessels have GPS, chartplotter, AIS, radar, EPIRB, life raft and any other equipment needed to maintain situational awareness and effect rescue in the event it is needed. It is also the sole and exclusive responsibility of the captain to decide whether or not to start or continue in the race. Vessels will be disqualified for unsafe operation or failure to have formal representation at the skipper’s meeting Thursday morning pre-race. The race involves sailing at night in an area busy with commercial traffic. All participating vessels must fly radar reflectors, maintain a radio watch, and keep a good lookout at all times. Captains unfamiliar with night sailing on the Chesapeake are encouraged to seek local knowledge and experienced crew before entering the event.