The Third Annual
Virtual Great Chesapeake Bay Schooner Race
Noon on August 24 to 3:00 pm August 27, 2022
Interested in joining the 2022 Virtual Race? Here’s how it works:
1. The Virtual Race is open to all schooners, regardless of their geographic location or prior participation in the Great Chesapeake Bay Schooner Race. Each schooner team should have a single person designated as their Team Captain, who will serve as a point of contact for the Virtual Race. This does not need to be the actual captain of the vessel!
2. Each schooner will choose a nonprofit organization to be their fundraising partner for the race. This partner organization will receive 90% of the funds raised during the Virtual Race (as outlined below). Partner organizations should be a registered nonprofit (501 (c)(3) or other similar classification) and should perform work which supports the mission of the Great Chesapeake Bay Schooner Race. Our mission is to:
· Promote awareness of the Chesapeake Bay’s heritage
· Encourage preservation of the Bay’s resources
· Support Chesapeake Bay education and clean-up efforts
· Bring historic schooners to the Bay, and
· Encourage schooner sailing and preservation.
NOTE: If your schooner operates as a nonprofit organization, you may raise money for yourself! Please contact Mark Arduini if you have any questions.
3. The Team Captain should fill out the Virtual Race Registration Form. This form will provide GCBSR with the information we need to set up your team for fundraising. The registration deadline for the 2022 Virtual Race is Friday, August 19, 2022.
There is no fee for participation in the Virtual Race. Please contact Mark Arduini for details.
4. Once your registration is complete, GCBSR will reach out and help you set up your fundraising webpage.
5. Before the Virtual Race begins, work with your partner organization and make a plan. How will you promote your team? Who will you reach out to? Most of your fundraising will happen through Facebook – how can you reach as many potential donors as possible? What kinds of Facebook posts or other content will you share? Please download a copy of our Social Media Toolkit for tips on successful peer-to-peer fundraising.
6. The Virtual Race will begin on Wednesday, August 24 at 12:00 noon EDT, and will end on Saturday, August 27 at 3:00 PM. During this time, your fundraising page will be active. You should share the address with as many people as possible! Anyone who wishes to participate can visit your page and give to your team. GCBSR will help promote your posts on Facebook, and we’ll do our best to ensure all teams are seen and heard by a wide audience.
7. At the end of the race, the team that has raised the most money is the winner! Winners will be recognized at the GCBSR Awards Ceremony in Norfolk, VA on October 8.
8. After the Virtual Race is completed, GCBSR will mail checks directly to nonprofit partner organizations.
· For tax purposes, 100% of donations should be considered gifts to the partner nonprofit. Partner organizations should acknowledge gifts and thank donors according to their own policies, and IRS regulations.
· GCBSR will retain 10% of donations as an administrative fee, which will be deducted from the total amount remitted to each partner organization. These fees will help to defray the cost of the fundraising event, to ensure the continued success of GCBSR, and to support our mission of conservation and education.
Thank you for your interest in the Virtual Great Chesapeake Bay Schooner Race, and for your continued support of the Chesapeake Bay’s history and culture. We hope to see you soon – in the water or online!